Create Your Own Private Juneau Highlights Tour
Juneau has a myriad of sites and activities for adventurous travelers. At the top of our list are the following must see attractions:
- Mendenhall Glacier – Take a guided walk on a trail tailored to your preferred level of activity. Explore the path of the Mendenhall Glacier through time with your own certified naturalist guide. Sights include the Mendenhall Glacier, Nugget Falls, and Steep Creek (with spawning salmon in season).
- Mt. Roberts Tram – You will enjoy the smooth ride of this world class aerial tramway taking you up to the scenic sub-alpine splendor at 1800 feet above sea level. The mountain top has many platform overlooks, hiking trails, and engaging attractions: The Nature Center, Alpine Tea House, Chilkat Theater, Timberline Bar & Grill, Raven Eagle Gifts & Gallery, and the Juneau Raptor Center Exhibit. *Additional Fee for Tram Ticket*
- Macaulay Salmon Hatchery – Come learn about the fascinating life cycle of salmon, their near shore marine environment, and the inner workings of a sustainable hatchery. Once inside the Visitor’s Center you’ll find impressive saltwater aquariums, including touch-tank aquariums where you can physically interact with a variety of tidepool critters. Venture through the gift shop filled with wild Alaskan smoked and non-smoked salmon. Make sure to grab a sample of salmon dip and, for the more adventurous, salmon caviar.
- Downtown Juneau Tour – This driving tour takes you through the historic district, showing you some of Alaska’s oldest buildings. Your guide will also take you across “the bridge” to Douglas Island’s Homestead Park, a place to take in the scenery of town set against the towering backdrop of Mt. Juneau. You will learn about the once thriving mining industry and stories of Juneau past and present. On your way back to town make a unique photo stop at Whale Park and visit “Taku,” the famous bronze whale breaching statue. Amidst the splash, capture the freeze frame of this life-size Humpback whale with a photo sure to spark memories of the Alaska’s wonder for years to come.
- Historical Treadwell Trail – This easy walk takes you back in time to the heyday of the gold mining boom in Juneau, Alaska. The trail is a literal outdoor museum with relics and sites left to whither from a distant industrial age. The 1.5 mile walk is on an easy level ground. A century ago this was the site of the largest gold mining operation in existence, drawing the best and brightest from the entire world. In its time, the Treadwell Mine had no equal in terms of state-of-the-art mining technology and annual yield. Today, walking the Treadwell Trail in search of its historical significance requires an experienced guide. The passage of years and intensive vegetative growth allow a glimpse of the staggering scale of this historic enterprise.
Take any combination of the above and we will put together a quote for you. Other attractions that may be of interest are: The Alaskan Brewing Company, Glacier Gardens, Alaska State Museum, Juneau-Douglas City Museum or any number of Juneau’s historical trails. Let us know what may interest you, and we’ll stitch together a day to remember!